Skip to main content

Why Food?



“Why food?”
I recognized the voice immediately. I turned around, and there he sat, in full chef regalia, on my love seat.
Although I had not seen Hookie for quite some time, I was not particularly surprised that he was there. I have known him practically all my life; he was my imaginary friend when I was three years old. Eventually he disappeared for a long time, but for the past several years he has occasionally shown up wearing a costume apropos to whatever subject he felt like discussing at the moment. Obviously, this time it was food.
“Hookie,” I said. “What about food?”
“Why is it that whenever we meet with other people, we have to have food? On a date, attending a movie, playing cards, whenever we get together with someone else, we have to have food? Why can’t we just sit and talk, or walk in the park together, or take a long drive in the country? Even when we meet someone to discuss a business deal, we prefer to do it over lunch.”
The only thing I could think of to say was, “I guess it’s just a custom.”
“Well sure,” he said. “But how did it start? Why do we keep doing it?”
From past experience I knew he wasn’t going to give up that easily. “Well perhaps it started in prehistoric times, when man wanted a favor from his gods, like to kill an enemy or send rain, he figured if he wanted something, he had to give up something; sort of a quid pro quo. And it had to be something valuable – you just can’t hand a god a stone or a stick, and since he spent most of his time providing food, that was the most valuable thing he had.”
“Very good,” Hookie said. “But men eventually got beyond that. The Greeks and Romans even ate during their orgies. What about that?”
“Well, those things went on for several days. I suppose they had to eat a lot in order to keep their er, strength, up. Please don’t ask me any more orgy questions; I wasn’t quite finished with the god thing. Eventually the practice of propitiating the gods with food carried over into the Jewish Seder and the Christian Eucharist.”
“Sorry,” he said. “But we do it for non-religious meetings too. What about that?”
“Well for one thing, don’t think that orgies stopped during the Middle Ages. Also, during the wars of the period, it was an advantage to eat while negotiating with your enemy, because if he was eating, he had to lay down his arms.”
“I see.”
“And among the peasants, all of whom were Christians, their religion demanded that they feed the stranger.”
“OK, but most people aren’t that religious today. What about them?”
“I think we are back at the beginning. On a date or a business lunch we are obviously looking for something from the other person. And at other times, what we are after is approval, which is not quite as obvious.”
“Speaking of obvious, you forgot one thing,” Hookie said.
“Oh, what’s that?”
“It’s fun.” And with that he vanished with a tiny ‘pop.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

It's Not Just Semantics

     It seems there are two competing definitons for the term “small business”; to no one's surprise the Democrats are using one and the Republicans are using the other. For the convenience of anyone who doesn't know which party he prefers, here are the definitions: 1.) A small business is a business which is not very large, e.g., a corner grocery, a machine shop with a couple of employees, a mom and pop enterprise, etc. Most Democrats use the term in this context. 2.) A small business is a business which operates as a pass-through tax entity, e.g., most of the businesses in def. 1.) plus most mega-farms, some manufacturing firms, and practically all high-tech and professional firms. These organizations use the individual proprietorship, partnership, S-corporation, limited-liability company (LLC), etc. tax reporting format. Under this definition the business could have anywhere from one to thousands of employees. For example, with over 163,000 employees worldwide, t...