Skip to main content

The Founding Fathers Would Be Appalled

      When the Founding Fathers created the U.S Constitution, they did not agree on everything at the beginning. On the contrary, they discussed and argued and compromised for three and a half months. I believe that by so doing they set up a model for later generations of Americans to follow.
      Of all the many freedoms they enshrined in the document, freedom of speech was basic. They knew that controversial matters would come up in later years, and free discussion and open debate between citizens was the way to resolve them. As far as I know, not one of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention threatened, or even considered threatening, any of the others with whom he disagreed.
      We seem to have forgotten that principle. This morning the media is reporting that politicians who voted for the Healthcare plan are being pilloried. They have been called vile names, spat upon, threatened and even had their offices attacked and their families threatened.
      Rush Limbaugh has called for them to be “eliminated,” and Sarah Palin’s web site is showing a map with their districts in the crosshairs. It also lists their names. I can’t believe any political party hoped to put a person like this just a heart-beat away from the presidency.
      Does the “saner” Republican hierarchy do anything about these attacks? Well a few have said publicly that they do not believe in any such activity, and have called for the “tea party” members to find less sensational ways to vent their displeasure.
      But not all. Others have accused the Democrats of playing up these attacks for political reasons. How does one “play up” a death threat? I do not believe that whoever made the threat was playing anything – that person was serious, and he’s not alone.
      I love my country, but sometimes I am ashamed of what some of our citizens do. Am I wrong?
      PS – Rush Limbaugh said he would move to Costa Rica if healthcare reform passed. So long, Rush. (I wonder if he knows they have national healthcare there.)

To read excerpts from “The Spirit Runs Through It,” click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

It's Not Just Semantics

     It seems there are two competing definitons for the term “small business”; to no one's surprise the Democrats are using one and the Republicans are using the other. For the convenience of anyone who doesn't know which party he prefers, here are the definitions: 1.) A small business is a business which is not very large, e.g., a corner grocery, a machine shop with a couple of employees, a mom and pop enterprise, etc. Most Democrats use the term in this context. 2.) A small business is a business which operates as a pass-through tax entity, e.g., most of the businesses in def. 1.) plus most mega-farms, some manufacturing firms, and practically all high-tech and professional firms. These organizations use the individual proprietorship, partnership, S-corporation, limited-liability company (LLC), etc. tax reporting format. Under this definition the business could have anywhere from one to thousands of employees. For example, with over 163,000 employees worldwide, t...