Skip to main content

Talk To Your Elderly Relatives

     Because genealogy can be a time-consuming passion, I didn't get involved in it until I retired, and I am so sorry I waited that long. Discovering the identities of my ancestors made me hungry to know more about their lives. The records of genealogy: certificates of birth, death, marriage, etc., can provide the skeleton of family history, but it's the stories that flesh it out.
     What really whetted my appetite for more knowledge was my memory of the few stories my grandfather told me. Although he may not have remembered what happened yesterday – in his last years all days were alike – he told me in great detail about the summer he “hired out” at the age of 18: the name of the farmer who hired him, what he did from sunrise to sunset, how much he was paid (a dollar a day), and just about every other detail of those three months.
     Grandpa was long dead when I realized that there was so much more he could have told me about his early years. I spent many hours of research until I found out that his uncle owned a distillery that had been in business since before the Revolutionary War. If only I had talked to him.
     On another occasion I recorded a session with my Aunt Jackie, and I now have an oral record of aunts, cousins and other relatives that I never knew, although I did meet some of them at a family reunion in 1998. I also found out that my great grandfather Grunenberger was killed when his legs were run over by a huge horse-drawn sleigh loaded with logs, and that my grandmother had to slide down a drain pipe to meet my grandfather – things I never would have discovered by strictly genealogical records. But I had to ask.
     Recently I spoke with a lady who told me that as a prerequisite to getting a college degree, her granddaughter had to interview an older person – someone at least two generations removed from the student. That is a wonderful idea, particularly if the student finds a talkative subject who has led a varied life, as happened in this case. And a sensitive and intelligent interviewer, one who can find the right questions to ask, can learn much, not only about the interviewee, but also about life in general during the last half century or so.
     But think about what one would learn if one questioned one's own ancestor. Who were your grandparents? What was your father's occupation? Is it true your uncle was hanged as a horse thief? Etc., etc.? Perhaps one could even learn the truth of certain family stories, or the origin of some family traits, or even get a hint of certain genes that should be nurtured or guarded against.
     So consider yourself fortunate if you have an elderly family member to interview. The two of you need to sit down with a recorder and talk. Sometimes only one or two questions can stimulate a half hour of memories which will be lost when your relative dies.
     Don't wait until it's too late.
******
My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback, or at the Kindle Store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

It's Not Just Semantics

     It seems there are two competing definitons for the term “small business”; to no one's surprise the Democrats are using one and the Republicans are using the other. For the convenience of anyone who doesn't know which party he prefers, here are the definitions: 1.) A small business is a business which is not very large, e.g., a corner grocery, a machine shop with a couple of employees, a mom and pop enterprise, etc. Most Democrats use the term in this context. 2.) A small business is a business which operates as a pass-through tax entity, e.g., most of the businesses in def. 1.) plus most mega-farms, some manufacturing firms, and practically all high-tech and professional firms. These organizations use the individual proprietorship, partnership, S-corporation, limited-liability company (LLC), etc. tax reporting format. Under this definition the business could have anywhere from one to thousands of employees. For example, with over 163,000 employees worldwide, t...