Skip to main content

The 80/20 Rule



I hate to say this, but there are times when I am ashamed to be an American. Fortunately the feeling doesn’t last very long because I can fall back on the 80/20 rule. Let me explain.
The 80/20 rule says that 20% of the members of a group cause most of the problems for the other 80%. I wish we could amend the rule to 90/10 or even 95/5, but it seems to be going the other direction.
Two events appeared in the news recently that illustrate what I am talking about. One involved a Hispanic lady who had the temerity to speak Spanish in a Los Angeles restaurant! You read that correctly, a Los Angeles restaurant. The City of Angels. In a state in which the non-Hispanic whites amount to less than half of the population according to the census bureau.
Another customer took issue with the Hispanic lady, berating her, and even inferring that speaking Spanish was tantamount to an open invitation for the Nazis to take over the country. Huh? Nazis? Give me a break!
But you can see for yourself at Spanish Nazis. I’m guessing the “American” lady is planning to vote for the Donald.
In another example of the “American Way”(?), Larry Lennox-Choate and Daniel Lennox-Choate were married in the U.S.Military Academy’s Chapel at West Point on November 2, 2013. In New York City they were recently attacked by a man shouting homophobic slurs. The situation escalated when the man punched Daniel Lennox-Choate, 30, in the face, according to police.
He picked the wrong guys to mess with; as part of their training they had gone through Plebe Boxing. The man fled on a bicycle, but not before his picture had been snapped by a bystander. Check it out at man picks on gay cadets.
As for you 20 percenters, take a little time to read the Constitution of the United States, and then try to explain where your actions are condoned.
For the 80 percenters, I am reminded of that old Latin(?) saying: Non illegitimi carborundum. Don’t let the bastards grind you down.
******
My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback or Kindle at Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

It's Not Just Semantics

     It seems there are two competing definitons for the term “small business”; to no one's surprise the Democrats are using one and the Republicans are using the other. For the convenience of anyone who doesn't know which party he prefers, here are the definitions: 1.) A small business is a business which is not very large, e.g., a corner grocery, a machine shop with a couple of employees, a mom and pop enterprise, etc. Most Democrats use the term in this context. 2.) A small business is a business which operates as a pass-through tax entity, e.g., most of the businesses in def. 1.) plus most mega-farms, some manufacturing firms, and practically all high-tech and professional firms. These organizations use the individual proprietorship, partnership, S-corporation, limited-liability company (LLC), etc. tax reporting format. Under this definition the business could have anywhere from one to thousands of employees. For example, with over 163,000 employees worldwide, t...