Skip to main content

Clint Eastwood, Political Expert.

I have just finished watching Clint Eastwood's speech to the Republican National Convention for the umpteenth time, and since just about everyone else has already sounded off on the matter, I have decided it is now my turn. Although as a liberal I am expected to disagree with everything Clint said, there are a few things with which I agree.
For example, I think it would be a good idea to end the adventure in Afghanistan. Our objective was to get Osama bin Laden, and we have done so. As Clint said, we should have consulted the Russians on the problems of stabilizing that country – if we had, we would have left when we got Osama.
It is not as if we are fighting for the security of the United States; it is extremely doubtful that the Afghans would attack us if we left. The rest of the world knows the tribal situation in Afghanistan, and is laughing at our stupidity.
Clint also mentioned that some of us in Obama's own party are disappointed that the economic problems of the country have not been solved, which is true, but we also realize that the solution is not dependent upon who is in office. As long as there are people in this world who are willing to work for pennies per hour, the jobs will flow in their direction. (Mr. Romney's tenure at Bain Capital is a prime example.) And as long as robots and software continue to displace people, the ranks of the unemployed will grow.
Mr. Eastwood may be correct in assuming that attorneys in government may not be a good thing - I won't speculate on that - but he neglected to mention that Mr. Romney has a Juris Doctorate from Harvard. Perhaps Clint forgot that during a senior moment.
Mr. Eastwood as well as the whole Republican party seems to be confused as to the goal of government as compared to that of business. Here is the difference – the object of business is to inflate the bottom line so that shareholders receive the highest possible return on their investments. Period!
The goal of government, at least that of the United States is to: form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.
The last businessman who became president was Herbert Hoover. Clint, ask yourself how that worked out.
As Clint said, [ideally] we - not the Koch brothers, Sheldon Adelson, Harold Simmons, Bob Perry nor any of the other billionaires who are attempting through SuperPACS to obtain the best [business friendly] government money can buy - own the country.
A few weeks ago I wrote a blog entitled I Can't Believe Someone Really Said This.” To that list I wish to add the following from no less than Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy in the Citizens United decision: “We now conclude that independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption.” I wonder if he still believes that.
One more thing: To put vulgar sayings in the mouth of an absent individual, president or otherwise, is to my mind the epitome of disrespect. But it is also an outstanding display of the complete lack of class of the individual who does so.
Clint, stick to acting.
******
My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback or Kindle at Amazon.

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa