Thursday, August 27, 2015

The 80/20 Rule



I hate to say this, but there are times when I am ashamed to be an American. Fortunately the feeling doesn’t last very long because I can fall back on the 80/20 rule. Let me explain.
The 80/20 rule says that 20% of the members of a group cause most of the problems for the other 80%. I wish we could amend the rule to 90/10 or even 95/5, but it seems to be going the other direction.
Two events appeared in the news recently that illustrate what I am talking about. One involved a Hispanic lady who had the temerity to speak Spanish in a Los Angeles restaurant! You read that correctly, a Los Angeles restaurant. The City of Angels. In a state in which the non-Hispanic whites amount to less than half of the population according to the census bureau.
Another customer took issue with the Hispanic lady, berating her, and even inferring that speaking Spanish was tantamount to an open invitation for the Nazis to take over the country. Huh? Nazis? Give me a break!
But you can see for yourself at Spanish Nazis. I’m guessing the “American” lady is planning to vote for the Donald.
In another example of the “American Way”(?), Larry Lennox-Choate and Daniel Lennox-Choate were married in the U.S.Military Academy’s Chapel at West Point on November 2, 2013. In New York City they were recently attacked by a man shouting homophobic slurs. The situation escalated when the man punched Daniel Lennox-Choate, 30, in the face, according to police.
He picked the wrong guys to mess with; as part of their training they had gone through Plebe Boxing. The man fled on a bicycle, but not before his picture had been snapped by a bystander. Check it out at man picks on gay cadets.
As for you 20 percenters, take a little time to read the Constitution of the United States, and then try to explain where your actions are condoned.
For the 80 percenters, I am reminded of that old Latin(?) saying: Non illegitimi carborundum. Don’t let the bastards grind you down.
******
My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback or Kindle at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment