Skip to main content



Homesick For California

In 1967 Barbara and I moved to California. We were young, and found it to be an exciting place to live. We were welcomed into a friendly church and made many friends. There were all sorts of entertaining places and things to do: amusement parks, sporting events, plays and restaurants.
And ah, the weather. We lived about ten miles from the beach; as a result we didn’t experience the searing heat farther inland. Our average daytime high during the summer was 85º; during the winter we thought it was cold when it occasionally dropped into the 50s.
After 35 years we began to think about retirement. At the invitation of church friends we visited a retirement campus, and quickly discovered that a small apartment was far more than we hoped to pay in our old age, although there was one perk: the establishment was willing to iron our sheets.
While visiting our local senior center Barbara observed an event which illustrates the general attitude toward older people. A person asked a staff member to call a taxi in order to take her home. At the conclusion of the call the staff member said the cab would be there in about an hour and a half. She reported, “They said that since you are retired you have no place important to go anyway, so you could wait.”
We decided to check places back in Pennsylvania, which was our home state. We found one which suited us perfectly, and we have not regretted our return.
Until today. The forecast high tomorrow is 17º, with a wind chill factor of -4º. The low for tonight is -1º, with a wind chill factor that makes me cold to think about it.
Why am I homesick for California? Ah, the weather.

******

My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback or Kindle at Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...