Skip to main content

It's A Hobby

Last night the temperature nose-dived. The low, at least by our thermometer, was 58°, by far the lowest since June 9th. That was 11° degrees off the average low for the last 10 days, although the average low on this date for the last four years was only 62°. Even so, it was a substantial change from what we have been experiencing recently.

In December of 2005 Barbara’s sister and her husband gave us a digital thermometer which registers inside and outside highs and lows for the day. We have been keeping track of daily temperatures ever since. We even drew up a form to keep track them, and every morning at 8:00 we record them for the previous 24 hours. I post them to an Excel worksheet, and at the end of each month I prepare a report showing all kinds of stats for the month, season and year to date.

When I show all this important stuff to Barbara, she takes the paper in hand, then immediately hands it back. “It looks good,” she says. How she knows that from such a superficial glance is beyond my power to understand. But she is not the only one; we get some good-natured teasing whenever we have a family get-together. The usual accusation is that I don’t have enough to do.

If you ask why do I do this, the quick answer is “Because I can.” But I can do a lot of things I don’t do. To be honest, I really don’t know why I do it.

We watch the History Detectives on PBS, and we always wonder why people keep such things as a ticket stub to the James Buchanan inauguration, or an unidentifiable piece of equipment that may have been on the Hindenburg.

I guess some people just like to collect things. With me, it’s temperature statistics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

It's Not Just Semantics

     It seems there are two competing definitons for the term “small business”; to no one's surprise the Democrats are using one and the Republicans are using the other. For the convenience of anyone who doesn't know which party he prefers, here are the definitions: 1.) A small business is a business which is not very large, e.g., a corner grocery, a machine shop with a couple of employees, a mom and pop enterprise, etc. Most Democrats use the term in this context. 2.) A small business is a business which operates as a pass-through tax entity, e.g., most of the businesses in def. 1.) plus most mega-farms, some manufacturing firms, and practically all high-tech and professional firms. These organizations use the individual proprietorship, partnership, S-corporation, limited-liability company (LLC), etc. tax reporting format. Under this definition the business could have anywhere from one to thousands of employees. For example, with over 163,000 employees worldwide, t...