Skip to main content

Working Out


This morning the word came out at the Wellness Center that I am writing a book. Someone asked if I am writing about the people there, so I will (but not in the book).
I started going to a gym in 1982, when I was working at Caltar Data Forms. I arranged for all the employees to get a cut rate on the introductory fee. Since then I have been going three times a week – mostly. I believe that the workouts are healthful, but just as important is the camaraderie. I have met many interesting people, made some friends, even signed some new clients while I was in the tax business, and got some ideas for short stories.
One of the friends I met there had a heart attack – not while at the gym. He asked the doctor why he had an attack even though he worked out regularly. The doctor told him he would probably be dead if he hadn’t been working out. Who am I to argue with a doctor? He has since died of another heart attack (the friend - not the doctor).
Not all patrons of gyms are in it for the fun. The city gym in Cerritos, California, where Barbara and I both went after we retired, is frequented by people who are getting some exercise before going to work. Headphones, and I  suppose iPhones and other electronic devices are practically de rigueur. However, it was well equipped, inexpensive and close to home, so we persevered.
The people here at the Wellness Center are extremely friendly. I am fortunate in that during the time I am usually there I get to work out with a bevy of beautiful ladies in my age group. The lovely girls who work there have years to go before they develop the type of beauty possessed by their patrons. And they do understand that the patrons are older, and although they try to challenge them, they do so in a friendly, helpful way.
         It’s a good place to find out what is happening on the campus. Since none of the patrons are exactly overwhelmed with work, keeping  up with the latest happenings, also known as gossip, is very important. Besides, it’s fun. Ah, I do love the ladies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

It's Not Just Semantics

     It seems there are two competing definitons for the term “small business”; to no one's surprise the Democrats are using one and the Republicans are using the other. For the convenience of anyone who doesn't know which party he prefers, here are the definitions: 1.) A small business is a business which is not very large, e.g., a corner grocery, a machine shop with a couple of employees, a mom and pop enterprise, etc. Most Democrats use the term in this context. 2.) A small business is a business which operates as a pass-through tax entity, e.g., most of the businesses in def. 1.) plus most mega-farms, some manufacturing firms, and practically all high-tech and professional firms. These organizations use the individual proprietorship, partnership, S-corporation, limited-liability company (LLC), etc. tax reporting format. Under this definition the business could have anywhere from one to thousands of employees. For example, with over 163,000 employees worldwide, t...