Skip to main content

Big Numbers


Lately we have been hearing some very large numbers bandied about – so large, in fact, that I am not sure we understand just how large they really are. Some examples: Bill Gates’ net worth is $40 billion, the population of China is 1.17 billion people, the U.S. national debt is limited to $12.1 trillion, etc. How can one picture that much of anything?
Let’s imagine we have a machine which can take us back in time as far as we want to go. We can set it for any amount of time we choose, go back that far, and see where we land.
Suppose we start with one billion seconds. Will we open the door on last week, last month, five years ago – When? Close the door, set the dial, push the button, and when the shaking stops, open the door.
Welcome to April, 1977! Jimmy Carter became president in January, Star Wars will open next month, a gallon of gas will set you back 64 cents, and Elvis has about four months to live.
Suppose we set the dial for one billion minutes and try again. Will we meet George Washington, talk to Shakespeare or join the Crusades? Push the button…
And we are in 106 C.E. Trajan has just defeated the Dacians, and 10,000 of them have been sent to Rome to die as gladiators in the arena. Ignatius, the third bishop of Antioch has written a letter to the Christians in Smyrna, in which he used the term “Catholic Church” for the first time. The crucifixion occurred about 70 years ago, and Mohammed will be born in another 465 years. Let’s see what happened one billion hours ago. The button, please.
Welcome to 112,000 B.C.E.: the Pleistocene era. Flowering plants, insects, birds and mammals are not much different from those of today, although some, e.g. mammoths and mastodons will eventually become extinct. Neanderthals are the reigning humanoid species – modern homo sapiens is a small minority; a deficiency to be overcome in the next 50,000 years. Let’s try one more trip. Button again, please.
There is not much that we would recognize in the Mesoproterozoic era. Living organisms consist mostly of bacteria, although some cells with a nucleus, eukaryotes, are also showing up. Stable continents appeared some time prior to this, although 700 or 800 million  years from now the Australian and American continents will begin to drift away from the super-continent: Pangea. Let’s go home.
It is impossible to illustrate one trillion on a time scale, because a trillion years is 75 times as long as the universe has existed. We can get some idea of its magnitude by realizing that if scientists were to discover 155 planets with a population similar to earth’s, that would add up to one trillion people.
So when we begin to grasp some idea of the scope of the huge numbers kicked around in Washington, we have to agree with a comment attributed to the late Senator Everett Dirksen, " A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...