Skip to main content

The Day After Christmas



I have just read an interesting book, My Stroke of Insight, written by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D. Dr. Taylor is a neuroanatomist who specializes in the postmortem investigation of the human brain. (Some people are turned on by the strangest things.)
On December 10, 1996, Dr. Taylor suffered a stroke caused by sudden bleeding from a birth defect in the left hemisphere of her brain.. As soon as she realized what was happening, she concentrated on trying to remember her thoughts and feelings. The book is a record of her impressions, beginning with the incidence of the stroke, and ending with the return of all her faculties eight years later. As a result of her experiences, Dr. Taylor also presents recommendations for stroke victims and their care givers.
The human brain has two hemispheres – it is as if we have two brains, each with different functions and personalities. Normally they work together in processing incoming data, creating a seamless view of the world.
But each hemisphere processes information in different ways. For the right brain, which controls the left half of the body, no time exists other than the present moment. As millions of bits of data stream into our brains at each instant, the right brain ties together sights, sounds, smells, tastes and feelings – tactile, emotional and intuitional – into one overall mosaic. This mosaic has no connection with either the previous moment, or the next. It is complete in itself.
Picture the cels which the Disney Company uses to represent one step in an animated cartoon. Each one contains a complete picture, and has no connection with either the preceding cel or the next one.
It is because of the ability of the right brain that we can remember very clearly certain outstanding events in our lives. Almost everyone remembers the moment they heard that Kennedy was shot, and older individuals can tell exactly what they were doing when they heard that Pearl Harbor had been attacked.
The process of combining the incoming data with the past and the future is the responsibility of the left  brain. This is the reasoning area – it contains the ability to create speech, to understand speech, to understand the physical boundaries of time and space, to move and to sense the world. It is the area that continually talks to us and orients us in the world. It enables us to calculate the odds of success between alternate courses of action.
This is also the area that Dr. Taylor lost. In her words, “The harder I tried to concentrate, the  more fleeting my ideas seemed to be. Instead of finding answers and information, I met a growing sense of peace. In place of that constant chatter that had attached me to the details of my life, I felt enfolded by a blanket of tranquil euphoria…As the language centers in my left hemisphere grew increasingly silent and I became detached from the memories of my life, I was comforted by an expanding sense of grace In this void of higher cognition and details pertaining to my normal life, my consciousness soared into and all-knowingness, a ‘being at one’ with the universe, if you will…I’m no authority, but I think the Buddhists would say I entered the mode of existence they call Nirvana.”
It’s certainly possible that Nirvana, or any religious awakening or conversion,  can be attained by learning to “turn off” the chatter of the left hemisphere. William James’ book: The Varieties of Religious Experience is all about such sudden and often unexpected occasions of ”being at one” with the universe. But whether or not Dr. Taylor attained Nirvana, she certainly shattered any doubt that one’s relationship to the world can be dramatically altered by a change in the physiology of the brain.
At this point I wish to make two assumptions about the nervous system:

1.)    A change in the internal state of the brain affects the body.
2.)    The brain is part of a determined system, i.e. conditions affecting the body have a corresponding effect upon the state of the brain.

Dr. Taylor has provided adequate proof of the first assumption, and the effects of alcohol, drugs, sensory deprivation, even hunger upon the brain are well documented, and lead to the second assumption.
Which brings me to Ebenezer Scrooge. Could he have been correct when he said to the ghost, “You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato?” Could something like that have so affected his brain that it led to his complete personality change on Christmas morning? Was the change permanent? I know it’s only a story, but think about it.
Thought for Today: "I never could see why people were so happy about Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' because I never had any confidence that Scrooge was going to be different the next day." — Dr. Karl Menninger, American psychiatrist (1893-1990).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa