Skip to main content

More BS From The Traveling GOP Clowns

     Since both the stock market and the jobs market are looking better lately, the GOP has invented a new line of BS: the high price of gasoline is the fault of President Obama. Newt Gingrich in particular is going about bragging that, if elected, he will quickly lower the price to $2.50 per gallon. He bases that figure on the fact that it was $1.13 when he was speaker of the house. Really Newt, if the president has that much control, why don't just we reelect the president from those days: Bill Clinton?
     Actually Newt, along with the rest of the clowns, is figuring on lowering the price by means of their tried and true method: Drill, baby, drill. It is their claim that the Obama administration is holding back production in order to keep the price high. The theory is that by so doing, we will be forced to buy green, energy-efficient cars. Unfortunately, the record doesn't accord with this theory.
     At the end of 2008, under the Bush administration, there were 391 operating domestic oil wells as compared to 1,173 at the end of 2011. In the eight years from December, 2000, to December, 2008, domestic crude oil production decreased from 181.5M barrels per day to 156.8M barrels per day, or -13.6%. By the end of 2011, production had increased to 182.2M barrels per day, or +16.2%. It appears that returning to dubya's policies would be a good way to curtail production.
     So why has the price of gasoline continued to climb? Believe it or not, domestic demand has declined to the point where refined fuel is now our biggest export. Normally in such a situation, one would expect inventories to rise and prices to fall, but just the opposite is occurring. The refiners can get a higher price by exporting than by selling to the domestic market. In fact, several domestic refineries have shut down for lack of business.
     So here is the situation: We sell our crude oil on the world market, then buy it back at a higher price. We refine that and sell it overseas because we can make more money there.
     No president, Democrat or Republican, is going to tell the refiners, “Look, you are going to have to sell a certain quantity of gasoline domestically at a price not exceeding x dollars per gallon.” Nor should he.
     But let's face it – the more crude we refine, the more refined product to sell overseas. Perhaps in order to cut costs for our traveling citizenry, we should be putting more resources into finding alternative fuels. And the green, energy-efficient cars is not a bad idea either.
     An added note: The Boston Globe just reported that the United States is now importing 45% of its petroleum, down from 57% in 2008.
******
     My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback, or at the Kindle Store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa