Skip to main content

Talk To Your Elderly Relatives

     Because genealogy can be a time-consuming passion, I didn't get involved in it until I retired, and I am so sorry I waited that long. Discovering the identities of my ancestors made me hungry to know more about their lives. The records of genealogy: certificates of birth, death, marriage, etc., can provide the skeleton of family history, but it's the stories that flesh it out.
     What really whetted my appetite for more knowledge was my memory of the few stories my grandfather told me. Although he may not have remembered what happened yesterday – in his last years all days were alike – he told me in great detail about the summer he “hired out” at the age of 18: the name of the farmer who hired him, what he did from sunrise to sunset, how much he was paid (a dollar a day), and just about every other detail of those three months.
     Grandpa was long dead when I realized that there was so much more he could have told me about his early years. I spent many hours of research until I found out that his uncle owned a distillery that had been in business since before the Revolutionary War. If only I had talked to him.
     On another occasion I recorded a session with my Aunt Jackie, and I now have an oral record of aunts, cousins and other relatives that I never knew, although I did meet some of them at a family reunion in 1998. I also found out that my great grandfather Grunenberger was killed when his legs were run over by a huge horse-drawn sleigh loaded with logs, and that my grandmother had to slide down a drain pipe to meet my grandfather – things I never would have discovered by strictly genealogical records. But I had to ask.
     Recently I spoke with a lady who told me that as a prerequisite to getting a college degree, her granddaughter had to interview an older person – someone at least two generations removed from the student. That is a wonderful idea, particularly if the student finds a talkative subject who has led a varied life, as happened in this case. And a sensitive and intelligent interviewer, one who can find the right questions to ask, can learn much, not only about the interviewee, but also about life in general during the last half century or so.
     But think about what one would learn if one questioned one's own ancestor. Who were your grandparents? What was your father's occupation? Is it true your uncle was hanged as a horse thief? Etc., etc.? Perhaps one could even learn the truth of certain family stories, or the origin of some family traits, or even get a hint of certain genes that should be nurtured or guarded against.
     So consider yourself fortunate if you have an elderly family member to interview. The two of you need to sit down with a recorder and talk. Sometimes only one or two questions can stimulate a half hour of memories which will be lost when your relative dies.
     Don't wait until it's too late.
******
My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs Through It” are available in paperback, or at the Kindle Store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa