Skip to main content

Another Mindless Attack.

     Almost buried in the coverage of the atrocity committed in Newtown, Connecticut, was another story of an act of “rage”: An attack on three elderly Mennonite ladies in nearby Clay, Pennsylvania.
     A young man posing as an insurance salesman gained admission to the residence occupied by three sisters who ranged in age from 84 to 90. Once inside, he donned a mask, and assaulted the ladies with a stun gun; he also punched, slapped and kicked them over a two-hour period.
     During his rampage he indicated that he had been a Mennonite, although people who knew him said that he never was a member of that faith. He also read from the Bible, and vandalized the one belonging to the ladies.
     Finally he spread a variety of household chemicals – bleach, vinegar, pesticides, etc. - throughout the house, and left the ladies tied up. Had it not been for a relative who stopped in four hours later, they might have died. They are expected to recover from their injuries.
     Police reported that the assailant was identified and arrested shortly after the incident. No one knows what set him off. According to one acquaintance he had “a soft heart” and “an inquiring mind.”
      The Mennonite faith as practiced in this area is distinguished primarily by the commitment of its members to service and pacifism. The test scores of students at the Lancaster Mennonite High School are “consistently superior to those of local and state averages for public and church-related schools.” Students are offered a rich variety of activities, including athletics, drama, music and art. All high school students attend daily chapel services and take a theology or Bible class each year.
     Why anyone would find fault with a community of faith such as this boggles the imagination, but like the events in Newtown, it seems to stem from a deranged mind.
     Could it have been prevented? Perhaps. If someone had recognized the symptoms of the young man's disengagement from the real world, treatment may have worked. But our ability to recognize and react to those symptoms is woefully inadequate.
      It is the government's responsibility to protect its citizens. Gun control laws, a hot topic at the present time, are not enough; obviously they could not have prevented the Mennonite atrocity. A systematic approach, covering weapons control, education, and psychological profiling and treatment is indicated. Only the government can organize and finance such a wide-ranging approach.
     Does President Obama have the leadership ability to spearhead such an approach? I hope so.

******
 
My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs


Through It” are available in paperback or Kindle at Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...