Skip to main content

The Mark Of The Beast.

      A recent newspaper story out of San Antonio tells of a 15-year-old student who is fighting her school district's “locator” chip embedded in her student ID badge. According to her, the chip is a “mark of the beast” as described in the Bible's Book of Revelation. This “mark” is a combination of letters and symbols that will be physically and permanently placed on one's forehead or right hand, indicating that the bearer is a follower of “the beast.” There will be severe penalties for refusing the mark and great rewards for getting it. Among other things “. . . no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."
     Within the church itself, the Book of Revelation has had many different interpretations, ranging from a condemnation of the Roman Empire, an allegory of the ongoing fight between good and evil, or a forecast of the “end times.”
     Throughout the ages conservative Christians have believed in the “forecast” interpretation. To them the beast is Satan himself. In recent times the computer chip, especially when embedded in the human body, has been looked upon as a potential mark of the beast. It is incumbent upon Christians to resist receiving this mark at all costs. The San Antonio student obviously falls into this category.
     In addition to its religious meaning, the school district's ability to ascertain the location of the student at all times raises the issue of invasion of privacy. It is for this reason that an unlikely partnership has been joined between the student and the ACLU, and a Texas state lawmaker has introduced a bill into the legislature prohibiting the technology in Texas schools.
     The school district offered to remove the chip from the girl's ID badge, but still required her to wear it at all times while on school property. Again the family has refused on the grounds that it is “submission to a false god,” and that wearing the badge indicates her participation in the program. One wonders how they feel about drivers' licenses, social security cards and other forms of ID.
     In the event the case goes to court, I believe the family is likely to prevail. Generally a state has to have a “clear and convincing” reason in order to limit a person's religious beliefs. Obviously public safety, human sacrifice, polygamy, etc. meet the test, but I do not think that is the case here. But is it possible that a monetary settlement could be reached?
     One personal observation: It is my personal opinion that no matter how wild, unrealistic and ridiculous a belief is, a justification for it can be found somewhere in the Bible. Also, there are people willing to join in the practice. At what point does a particular religious belief become a superstition? Or is there any difference at all?


My books, “There Are Only Seven Jokes” and “The Spirit Runs


Through It” are available in paperback or Kindle at Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...