Skip to main content

No Right Answer



One of the first promises of the Hippocratic Oath is “Do no harm.” New treatments of disease are coming along all the time, and I know that a great deal of a doctor’s time is spent in keeping up with the latest advances. But lately I would not be surprised if the average Family Practice Physician came down with a bad case of whiplash from tracking all the changes.
The Obama administration has contributed to this situation. I realize the chief is pretty busy trying to get some sort of healthcare plan through Congress, but perhaps it would be a good idea for him to forbid any new recommendations until he has succeeded. We are getting mixed signals, and unfortunately, if one compares recent releases to earlier ones, they appear to support to the accusation that his plan is going to 1.) ration service more than is now the case, and 2.) run up the deficit.
One of the highly publicized components of his plan is the idea of cutting down on treatment costs by diverting  more resources to prevention. It sounds good, but think of it this way. Suppose 10,000 women get mammograms, and 12 cancers are found. (This is the actual rate according to the Center for Disease Control 2001 – 2005.) 9,988 mammograms were negative, and 12 lives were saved. For the vast majority the whole thing was a waste of money, but for the 12 who were saved, no amount of money is too much. I personally agree, but I also understand that it is necessary to draw the line somewhere.
With the latest release, the administration appears to be backing down on prevention: the long-recommended mammogram, self-examination and Pap smear suggestions have been eased. Why? Because too much money is being spent on examinations of women who have no problem.
Of course, the new release is meant to be a “guideline,” but who wants to bet that the insurance companies will soon be changing their coverage to agree with the guide-line?
It appears that the government has decided to make a cost-benefit analysis on the cost of prevention. Normally that’s a good business practice, and organizations do it routinely to allocate their resources to the projects which are likely to pay off.
This is just one more of those problems that I can see both sides of. But it is a financial decision, and I would not want to be the one to explain to the families of the 12 women in my illustration why they couldn’t get the treatment which would have saved their lives because it cost too much. On the other hand, neither do I want to see huge amounts of money being spent on needless tests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...