Skip to main content

Things That Glow In The Dark



Although I usually come up with subjects for my blog in the hour before the alarm sounds, last night was an exception; I woke up about 3:15 and had trouble getting back to sleep. About 4:00 I decided to get up and prowl around a bit, and I discovered the house was not quite dark. In addition to the night-lights in the bathrooms, every room in the house displayed little red or green lights. So I decided to take a survey.
In the bedroom there is a clock, a smoke alarm and a big red emergency button. (We live in a retirement community.) Fortunately, we have never had to use either the smoke alarm or the emergency button, but they are there. After checking the rest of the house, I made up the following table:

Room/Device
LEDs
Clocks
Other
Bedroom



     Smoke Alarm
1


     Alarm Clock

1

     Emergency Button


1
Hall



     Smoke Alarms
2


Bathroom 1



     Night Light


1
     Beard Trimmer
1


Bathroom 2



     Night Light


1
Office



     Smoke Alarm
1


     Telephone
1


     Surge Protectors
2

1
     Modem
4


Kitchen



     Microwave

1

     Stove

1

     Coffee Maker

1

     Smoke Alarm
1


Living Room



     DTR

1

     DVD Player
1


     Telephone (Messages)


1
Garage



     Door Opener


1
          Totals
14
5
6
          Power Cost/Device/Month *
.30
.50
.40
          Monthly Device Cost
4.20
2.50
2.40
          Total All Devices/Month


$9.10

* Estimated by WGAL television investigation.

That’s over $100 per year! And our house is not particularly techno-savvy!
 Using the above estimates you can figure out how much you are spending for things that glow in the dark. You need to keep in mind that you have these devices for either safety or convenience, so before you start pulling plugs at night, you need to weigh how much these factors are worth. Also, pulling plugs on stoves, microwave ovens, etc. is a bit impractical.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...