Skip to main content

Creation Science and Teaching the Bible



In a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, The Rev. Dr. William Curtis writes, “… the entire Creation Science movement is committed to the premise that true science does indeed hold up the creation and young earth position of the Bible.” In this statement, Rev. Curtis unwittingly points out the difference between creation science and “true” science: Creation Science is committed to proving its conclusions are true, whereas “true” science is committed to attempting to disprove its own conclusions.
At the present time the Center for Creation Science is advertising the book “In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood”  by Dr. Walt Brown. Dr. Brown begins by assuming that the great flood actually happened. Where did all the water come from? According to Dr. Brown, the continents were one land mass floating on a layer of water. The land mass cracked open one day, and the underlying waters gushed up as high as 20 miles! The great flood was born.
Needless to say, the laws of physics, presumably laid down by God, indicate that the land mass floating on water is impossible. And assuming that the flood actually resulted from 40 days and nights of rain, and the ark came to rest on a mountain 10,000 feet high, that would mean that the rain fell at a rate of over ten feet per hour. That would quickly swamp the largest aircraft carrier!
In fact, stories of a great flood abound in religions preceding the writing of the Bible. Asia, the Far East, Oceana and both North South America; all have spawned religions which include flood legends. But doesn’t that prove that the great flood happened all over the world? Not necessarily – just as they do in the present day, local catastrophic floods happened at different times in widely separated areas, and the more often the stories were retold, the larger the catastrophes grew.
Don’t get me wrong; I believe the Bible should be taught in school – just not in science class. As a major source book for understanding our culture, the Bible is filled with common phrases and sentences: Leviathan*See eye to eye*A voice crying in the wilderness*New wine in old bottles*Good Samaritan, and hundreds, perhaps thousands more. To understand the origin of these phrases is to add to the acceptance and enjoyment of some of our greatest literature.
As a religious text, the Bible should be taught in church, Sunday School and at mother’s knee. But finding teachers without a religious agenda to teach it as literature in public schools is almost impossible. And that’s a shame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa