Skip to main content

An Ode To Phillies Phans





A few days ago the Philadelphia Phillies won their third straight National League East championship; a feat they also managed in 1978. The playoffs start in a few days. Although they were ahead most of this season, the team’s sometimes iffy performance had their fans on pins and needles much of the time.
They have always had great fans. Rowdy and raucous, they were always ready to cheer good performance, and also to ver-boo-ly let the team know when performance was not up to expectations. But their loyalty never wavered. And how has the team repaid them?
They have won the World Series twice: once in 1980 and again in 2008. It’s not hard to stick with a winner, but the Phillies fans deserve a special tribute because of some of the more trying times. A few examples follow:
1.)                          Phillies fans are forced to listen to sportscasters who have not learned one simple rule: When you have nothing to say, stop talking.
2.)                          In 2009, the closer the team was counting on to put out the fires of the opposing teams appeared to throw gasoline instead of water on the flames. He went into 41 games with a lead, lost eight of them, and blew another three. If he had saved all of them (a feat he accomplished in 2008), the team would have clinched the pennant at least a week earlier, and the fans would still have fingernails.
3.)                          In 2007 the team presented the fans with a very special first: It was the first team to lose 10,000 games. Admittedly this was due to a history of 100 years with a management that didn’t want to spend money for top talent in the early years, but it still was a dubious first.
4.)                          Need I mention the phamous phall of 1964? With 10 games to play the Phillies were 6-1/2 games ahead of the Cards. They lost all 10.
5.)                          Now I’m going way back to a game that I attended. In 1939 the Phillies were beaten 1-0 by a semi-pro team from Manheim, PA; semi-pro meaning the guys on the winning team kept their day jobs and received $5 to $10 per game on weekends and the occasional weekday exhibition game. In all honesty, since the Phillies were only 45 and 106 in the NL for the season, beating them was not such a big deal. To show how seriously the Phillies were considered even in Manheim, the winners fired their managers five days after the game because they didn’t win enough league games. Incidentally, the Phillies did better in 1940 – they again won 45, but had only 105 losses, with one tie.
Throughout all these and many other times that try fans’ souls, they have been loyal. Sellouts at Citizens Bank Park are almost routine. Hats off to them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa