Skip to main content

The Book of Genesis Illustrated

      Recently I acquired The Book of Genesis Illustrated, by R. Crumb, an illustrator whose work is quickly recognizable through the style of his drawings. According to Wikipedia, “The book includes annotations explaining his reactions to the stories. It is reported on NPR in October 2009, that it was a four-year effort and does not rewrite any part of the text. Much research was done by Mr. Crumb in the earlier language versions of the text to support the interpretations. It contains all fifty chapters of Genesis and comes with a warning on its cover: ‘Adult Supervision Recommended for Minors.’”
      It is interesting to observe most people’s first reaction when I mention the book: “How does he depict Adam and Eve?”
      Well, they look a lot like the rest of us, and of course they are dressed in whatever attire the Bible calls for. In the beginning they are wearing nothing, and yes, they are anatomically correct. They appear to be healthier than we are, perhaps because of their outdoor lifestyle. It is also possible that they followed a more nutritious diet than we do.
      The Bible doesn’t record whether they were carnivores or herbivores, although there is documentation that they did eat fruit on occasion. (Would that make them fruitivores?) We also know that their sons got involved in both farming and animal husbandry.
      The next question is usually something like, “How is the phrase ‘He knew his wife’ illustrated?” Well, there are some cuddly pictures, although nothing pornographic, but they are a bit more graphic than a wave of the hand or a nod of the head.
      With these two topics out of the way, most people seem to be satisfied.
      But the most graphic pictures, at least to me, are the ones of corpses floating in the flood, and the citizens writhing in the flames during the destruction of Sodom. I wonder about people who think that the sinful parts of the book are about nudity and sex, and shrug off the blood and gore and mass destruction.
      Contrary to the warning on the cover, I think it might be a good idea for kids to view the illustrations whenever they study the old testament – words alone cannot convey the full horror. The Book of Genesis Illustrated is proof that “One picture is worth a thousand words.”
******
      Genesis proclaims that man was created, not from nothing, but from the dust of the ground. Man was not a supernatural being; he was, and still is, an integral part of nature. But what an exciting part! Because of its ability to store concepts, his brain holds the potential for memory, insight, emotions, imagination; entities that had never before existed. For the first time in history the Spirit could look out and see what it had done. It could combine what it saw with the hidden cranial potentials and create all sorts of new things. Because of the power of the Spirit working through his brain, man received dominion over the earth. Creativity took a quantum leap forward. And as Genesis says, mankind was driven from the Garden of Eden. His ability to speak and to classify separated him from non-speaking nature, but not from the Spirit.
      The Wisdom of Genesis – The Spirit Runs Through It.

      The book is available in paperback or on Kindle at Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...