Skip to main content

Supreme Court Nominations

      With the retirement of John Paul Stevens, President Obama has a chance to nominate a second justice to the Supreme Court. It is interesting to see journalists from the right whipping up a feeding frenzy, looking not for the best person, but to defeat whomever the President nominates. I believe if Jesus Christ were Obama’s nominee, the conservatives would try to derail Him.
      This past Wednesday Cal Thomas was pushing the idea that “Liberal presidents invariably nominate liberal judges.” I would think that the converse is also true: Conservative presidents invariably nominate conservative judges.
      But Cal says no, and he points to the nomination of Earl Warren by Eisenhower, Sandra Day O’Conner and Anthony Kennedy by Ronald Reagan, David Souter by George H. W. Bush, and of course Stevens by Gerald Ford.
      I give it to Cal on these, with the exception of Kennedy, who swings both ways, the others turned out to be relatively liberal.
      But they weren’t liberal in the beginning of their tenures - all the above nominees were selected with the understanding that they had impeccable conservative credentials. I would like to think that after they had seen enough of the misery perpetuated by strict conservative ideologies, they began to realize that there is such a thing as equity, a legal term which equates to fairness. As for Kennedy, I think his voting on his view of the law without regards to ideology is a good thing.
      I would like to take Cal’s premise one step further – what are the ideological leanings of the other current justices as compared to the presidents which nominated them?
      Conservative justices and their nominators are Anthony Scalia (Reagan), Clarence Thomas (George H. W. Bush), and John Roberts and Samuel Alito (George Bush) – all nominated by conservative presidents. Surprise, Cal!
      Liberal justices and their nominators are Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Stephen Breyer (Clinton), and Sonia Sotomayer (Obama).
      Cal was right. So am I. Presidents invariably nominate judges based upon their own ideology.
      But Cal didn’t give up. His column ends with, “There is always the outside chance an Obama nominee will convert to judicial restraint, but that is as likely to happen as a tax cut from this president.” What about the $173 billion from the 2009 stimulus package, Cal? Does that count?
      Today another conservative voice was heard from: Thomas Sowell proclaimed “Good riddance to Justice Stevens.” Although it doesn’t happen often, I am partially in agreement with Sowell’s comments on the case of Kelo v. City of New London.
      It is Sowell’s conclusion to his column that I find questionable. “Republicans too often appoint judges whose confirmation will not require a big fight with the Democrats. You can always avoid a fight by surrendering.”
      I would ask Sowell. “What about Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito?” It doesn’t sound like surrender to me.
******
      Anticipating the science of ecology by a hundred years, Charles Darwin wrote:
. . . but humble-bees alone visit the common red clover . . . as other bees cannot reach the nectar. Hence I have very little doubt, that if the whole genus of humble-bees became extinct or very rare in England, the heartsease and red clover would become very rare, or wholly disappear. The number of humble-bees in any district depends in a great degree on the number of field-mice, which destroy their combs and nests; and Mr. H. Newman, who has long attended to the habits of humble-bees, believes that ‘more than two thirds of them are destroyed all over England.’ Now the number of mice is largely dependent, as every one knows, on the number of cats; and Mr. Newman says, ‘Near villages and small towns I have found the nests of humble-bees more numerous than elsewhere, which I attribute to the number of cats that destroy the mice.’ Hence it is quite credible that the presence of the feline animal in large numbers in a district might determine, through the intervention first of mice and then of bees, the frequency of certain flowers in that district!
      The number of flowers is dependent upon the availability of instincts and actions of humble-bees, field-mice and cats for use by the creative process.
      Introduction - The Spirit Runs Through It

To read more excerpts from the book, click here.
Also available on Kindle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa