Skip to main content

A Moral Dilemma



“Is what is moral commanded by God because it is moral, or is it moral because it is commanded by God?" is the modern version of the so-called Euthyphro dilemma posed by Socrates. If God commands what is moral because it is moral per se, then God is merely a mouthpiece passing on to us what we could find out for ourselves. Conversely, if something is moral because God commands it, then he could make anything – rape, murder, incest, etc. – moral and we would be obliged to obey Him regardless of how heinous His command is.
As is usual for such a dilemma, philosophers and theologians have argued this proposition ever since Socrates voiced it, and as is also usual, both sides are partially correct. Let’s examine the record.
First we need to come up with a working definition of “moral.” I propose the following as a starting point: Morality is an informal public system applying to all rational persons, governing behavior that affects others, and has the lessening of evil or harm as its goal. So if God commands any item to be moral, it is moral per se if it fits into our definition of morality even before God makes it a commandment.
Let us see how God’s Ten Commands fit into our definition. Assuming that there are many rational people in the world other than Jews or Christians, the first four:

1.) Thou shalt have no other gods before me ( Exodus 20:3),
2.) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” ( Exodus 20:4),
3.) Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” ( Exodus 20:7),
4.) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy” ( Exodus 20:8),

would not fit before God made them into commandments. As for the rest:

5.) Honour thy father and thy mother” ( Exodus 20:12),
6.) Thou shalt not kill” ( Exodus 20:13),
7.) Thou shalt not commit adultery” ( Exodus 20:14),
8.) Thou shalt not steal” ( Exodus 20:15),
9.) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” ( Exodus 20:16),
10.) Thou shalt not covet” ( Exodus 20:17).

they are probably acceptable to most rational persons everywhere, with or without God’s intervention. (I am not sure most teenagers would agree to number 5.)
In addition, God issued 600+ other commandments, and we do not have to look very far to find some that do not fit into our working system:

1. ) … none of your descendants … who is hunchbacked or dwarfed, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles … may come near to offer the food of his God. [Lev. 21:17-20]
2.) When a man sells his daughter as a slave…[Exodus 21.7]
3. ) As for the male and female slaves whom you may have…[Lev. 25:44]
4.) …anything in the seas…that does not have fins and scales…they are detestable to you.[Lev. 11:10]

It appears that the Euthyphro dilemma consists not of widely spaced horns, but is instead a continuum running from moral per se to moral per fiat. Thus there are opportunities for humankind to use its God given intellect. Although different systems of morality may agree to a large extent in their moral per se constituents, they differ substantially in there per fiat constituents. That makes them neither equal nor relative; but it surely makes them combative

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa