Skip to main content

Prescriptions

In case of an emergency, Barbara and I each carry a list of the prescription medicines we take. They also come in handy when we visit the doctor and he asks for a list of our meds. The nurse just makes a copy of the list and sticks it in our chart.

I just updated my list, and I am certainly glad that I am in reasonably good health – otherwise the list would be too long to stuff into my wallet. Over the years the list has grown inexorably, and now contains ten items; there are pills for everything from arthritis pain to restless-legs syndrome.

On the subject of restless legs, I recently read an article by some bigwig doctor who was complaining that when these pills came out, they were making a medicine for a disease that doesn’t even exist. I don’t usually wish anyone ill, but I hope that SOB comes down with that particular non-disease.

We have been led to believe that generic medicines are cheaper, because the patent on the active ingredients expires after 20 years. Because the term of the patent starts when development begins, the actual effective patent life runs from 7 to 12 years after the medicine hits the market. After that, companies other than the developer may make them, and competition is supposed to bring the price down.

And it does, at least for me, because the insurance company gives me a huge break on the prices. My generics cost me $12.50 for a three month supply, but in some cases the insurance company still pays through the nose. For example, one of my generics costs the company $201.63, and another costs them $162.54.

So where is the competition? No wonder medical bills are out of this world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa