Skip to main content

Free Speech And Civility

      Several stories of abridgement of free speech rights have been in the news lately.
      Yesterday arch-conservative Carl Rove was shouted down during the course of a book-signing event in Beverly Hills, California. About 100 persons had paid $40 to hear Rove discuss his book, "Courage and Consequences: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight." One protestor called Rove a “war criminal,’” while another waved a pair of handcuffs with which she ostensibly planned to make a citizen’s arrest. Rove was forced to leave the stage without signing any books.
      While I seldom agree with anything Rove has to say, I firmly believe shouting down a person trying to present his case, unpopular though his case may be, is about as un-American as one can get.
      Rove was there to discuss his viewpoint. Anyone who disagreed with that viewpoint had an equal right to stand and discuss the differences in a reasonable manner.
      This morning’s newspaper tells of a man who sued a church for disrupting his son’s funeral. The son, Marine Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder, had been killed in an accident in Iraq in March 2006. Although Snyder was not gay, the members of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, picketed his funeral and cheered his death because, “God is allowing men and women to die in Iraq because of this country's tolerance of homosexuality.”
      As with any side of any argument, the church has a right to say what they think – after all, the members were not inciting to riot. But creating a scene such as this at a funeral – I think I am going to be sick! And this church has supposedly done the same thing at some 300 military funerals.
      Yesterday Snyder’s father, who sued the church, was ordered to pay all the church’s court costs. The court found that the church members had the right to do what they did under the first amendment. I agree, but what has become of decency and common sense?
      In 2009, the Protect Marriage Washington organization got an anti-gay rights measure on the ballot. Since then the signers of the ballot have been receiving extremely vicious hate mail, to the extent that the organization has petitioned the courts to allow the signers’ names to be kept secret.
      The Supreme Court is considering the case. It will be interesting to see which way the Roberts court goes.
      I have always agreed with Voltaire, who said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (But please don’t put me to the test.) And I have also thought that a free discussion of bad ideas would eventually displace them.
      The key words are “free discussion,” not “shouting match.” I don’t suppose a law requiring civility would pass constitutional muster.
**********
      The newborn fawn does not fight other fawns for the attention of a doe as does the mature stag, nor does the salmon fingerling swim up the river to its birth place like the adult salmon. And the larva does not flit from flower to flower like the adult butterfly.
      In a like manner, changes occur in the outward trappings of societies. New York City, for example, is completely different from the New York City that George Washington and Benjamin Franklin knew. And the New York City of the founding fathers in no way resembled ancient Rome or the tent villages of our Native Americans. Each society remakes the physical world to its own specifications, which change continually. . . In the following pages we shall explore these transitions and determine what relationships, if any, might exist between them.
      Foreword – The Spirit Runs Through It

To read more excerpts from the book, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa