Skip to main content

There Is Life Outside Of Football

      It’s time for my annual rant about the condition of science non-students at my alma mater. This happens whenever the winners of the North Museum and Science Fair are announced. At least it starts that way, although it expands a bit by the time I get to the end. Stay with me.
      If this were about football, it would be a glowing review. Since 1992, Manheim Central’s record is been 215 and 29 – not too bad. A football scholarship to Penn State is considered a very successful high school career.
      But it’s not about football.
      I counted winners from 16 Lancaster County Schools at this year’s science fair. How many were there from Manheim Central? None, nada, nil, zilch, goose egg! Same as last year! I don’t think they even had anyone entered!
      I have spoken to several of my classmates and other alumni about this lack, and what do I get? “Well, you need an inspiring teacher to get the kids excited about science.”
      Well, why don’t they get one? Can’t afford it? Find a good one and offer him or her the same salary the football coach gets!
      Another excuse I’ve heard: The parents prefer sports. Sadly, that’s true, but I am sure that if some kids came home all excited about their latest science projects, any reasonable parents would at least be supportive. Although I could be wrong, I don’t believe Manheim parents would downplay scientific enthusiasm any more than the parents of the kids from the 16 other schools who produced winners.
      On March 13, the annual awards dinner was held in Washington, D.C. for the winners in the annual Intel Science Project and Talent Competition. Scholarships and Awards to these high school students total $1.25 million.
      Of the top 40 winners, 27 had Asian names. I do not believe that these kids are any smarter than their classmates who come from a Caucasian background. Nor did they have better teachers. But they did have one powerful edge: their parents.
      The small city in which I lived in California has a beautiful library, and it is open seven days a week. Saturdays and Sundays the library is crowded with kids, and 90% of them are of Asian background. They and their parents seem to have found what we have lost – curiosity and enthusiasm.
      Fortunately, all the kids who won the Intel competition are Americans. If their counterparts back in China and India are working as hard as they are, we are in deep trouble.
      Getting back to Manheim, I hope their science curriculum is just going through a temporary dry spell. Science is exciting! May it also be contagious.
********
      Imagine a site on which a new home is scheduled to be built. Materials and supplies have been delivered and are awaiting the arrival of the construction crew. There are stacks of lumber, piles of bricks, . . . everything that will go into the new construction.
      A contractor agrees to complete the building. He hires carpenters, bricklayers, . . . and any other subcontractors he needs, and eventually the building is completed.
      A new entity, a house, has been introduced into the universe. The collection of materials and supplies has been given a new structure. They would have lain there forever unless some outside creative action, supplied by the contractor and his crew, occurred that transcended and transformed them.
      Introduction – The Spirit Runs Through It

To read more excerpts from book, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa