Skip to main content

We Are Falling Behind

      When it comes to hi-tech innovation, there is no doubt that the USA is among the leaders. Computers, the Mac and the PC - both American inventions - are ubiquitous throughout the world. And such items as the iPod, xBox and GPS all attest to the innovativeness of American technical know-how.
      But there is one area of technical expertise where we are rapidly falling behind: toilet technology. According to an article posted yesterday on MCNBC, toilets outside the US are undergoing rapid technological upgrading, and as to the race to be first on the market, we are so far in the rear that we may never catch up. If we don’t do something, our toilet industry will be wiped out.
      Not surprisingly, the Japanese are occupying the leadership throne in this field. Some of their public toilets almost require an instruction manual in order to handle their control panel. Likewise in Europe there are some really snazzy models. Here are a few examples of the bells and whistles available overseas:

• Heated seats, a very popular item, particularly in Northern Europe.

• Sound effects, usually sounds of nature, in order to give the user privacy. (I hope if they decide to go to music, they don’t play the Star Spangled Banner.)

• Built-in bidets, available in either pulsating or oscillating styles. Come complete with automatic warm air dryer.

• Motion sensitive lids that go up or down automatically. The down feature is called the “marriage saver.”

• Self cleaning seats.

• Self sanitizing seats.

• Multiple choice handles, complete with instructions. Pull up for number one, push down for number two. Saves water.

• Smart toilets that perform urinalysis. They can be set to perform a specific test, e.g., diabetes, and transmit the results wirelessly to your computer or doctor.

      In the event you are interested in any of these features, they are available on the internet. A really cool model can cost upwards of several thousand dollars – a retrofit seat with bells but no whistles starts at about $500.
      Obviously American toilet makers need to do some catching up in order to avoid being caught with their pants down. Figuratively, of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes a...
The Future of Work This is for folks who don't mind stretching their imagination a bit. Let me review some of the things that are happening in today's world. A recent news article stated that in spite of the decreasing jobless rate, the number of retail jobs has been dropping rapidly. An article in Business Insider calls it a retail apocalypse. According to the article, in the retail industry, "Since October about 89,000 workers in general merchandise stores have lost their jobs, which is more than the number of people employed in the entire US coal industry." ( http://www.businessinsider.com/retail-job-losses-are-hurting-the-economy-2017-4 ). This loss is due to the rapid expansion of online merchandising. But this is only one example of the point I want to make. According to an article in Scientific American, two professors at Oxford University published a study estimating the probability that "702 occupations would soon be computerized out of exist...

Men Never Outgrow Their Love of Toys

     I guess I am no different from most other men – I like gadgets. I know there are some wonderful toys that I am missing, but if I am sure I have no use for an iPhone, xBox, and the like, I don't buy them. And I decided that even though the ultimate toy, my car, is 10 model years old, it's in good shape, and I don't need a new one. However, we are driving from Pennsylvania to Texas next week, so I did spring for a GPS, and it's really fascinating.      I downloaded the owner's manual and after perusing it, sort of (owners' manuals are to use when you can't figure it out otherwise), I entered my home address into the instrument. I had to test that, so I drove a couple of miles, turned around, and hit the “Home” button.      I was a bit disappointed in the results: it got me home OK, but it didn't take the shortcuts I would have taken. It did keep saying “recalculating” a few times, and when I got within a block or two of t...