Skip to main content

Memories Of A Close Friend

      We lost a long time friend last July, a friend we have known for over 40 years. Claudia was a wife, artisan, chef and would-be mother to the world.
      All the time that Barbara was in the OR, Claudia was in the waiting room with me. Barbara looked so little and helpless when she came out; Claudia took one look at my face and whispered, “Don’t worry, she’ll look fine tomorrow.” And she did. In the meantime Claudia took me home and fed me dinner.
      Because of her ability to organize a kitchen, she was the “go to” person at church dinners, socials, etc., although she preferred intimate dinner parties of six to eight people. I can’t even estimate the number of such parties we attended at her home.
      Her Coquilles St. Jacques, if not to die for, was at least to kill for. After I tasted hers, there was no other that was fit to eat, at least for me.
      But then, that was true of almost anything she cooked. For our first such affair at her house, she made fish. She didn’t know that I never cared for fish, but that meal made a believer out of me.
      When our Kiwanis Club disbanded, we had an eight-burner, double-oven stove in our clubhouse. Claudia remodeled her kitchen so that she could fit that stove into it.
      When Barbara and I had our accounting business, we had a client that always gave us a fresh turkey for Christmas. Since there were only the two of us, I offered the turkey to Claudia if she would invite us for dinner when she roasted it.
      The first time we dropped the turkey off at her house, we got to drinking a little wine. After a few toasts, we began calling friends in the area. We would dial their number, and when they answered we sang, “We wish you a merry Christmas … … and a Happy New Year,” then hang up the phone. Before long people would be calling around to find out where the party was. When they called us, we again sang the song, and again we immediately hung up.
      Soon people began arriving with little goodies of their own to share. Before we knew it, 15 or 20 people showed up. Claudia never missed a beat – she went to her pantry and pulled out all sorts of appetizers. There was never a shortage of food at her house.
      The turkey festival, as we called it, was repeated for several years, but when people started getting together ahead of time and assigning dishes – you bring the potato salad, I’ll bring the cole slaw, etc. – it lost its spontaneity, and the thing just died.
      She excelled at any art or craft she tried. One of her passions was her angel collection: glass, ceramic, cloth, fiber, anything at all that could be made into an angel went into her collection.
      She was dedicated to her church, and whenever a committee post was open, or a job needed to be done, she was ready. She amassed a large selection of religious works, and she didn’t just read about her religion – she lived it.
      She won the first round with cancer several years ago, but the big C came back with a knockout punch last July. If there is an afterlife, I know she is busy mothering everyone. And she is probably reorganizing the kitchen.

To read excerpts from “The Spirit Runs Through It,” click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa