Skip to main content

Memorial Day Reflections

      Memorial Day, formerly Decoration Day, was originally observed on the 30th of May. (The bill changing it to the last Monday in May was passed on June 28, 1968. It became effective at the Federal level in 1971.)
      Decoration Day was originated in 1868 by order of the head of the Grand Army of the Republic. It was supposed to be a day when the graves of the war dead were to be decorated with flowers.
      There are two versions as to why May 30th was chosen - one declares that at that time flowers would be in bloom all over the country; the other says that it was chosen because it was not the anniversary of any particular battle of the Civil War.
      My first remembrance of a particular Memorial Day is the one in 1941. At the time I had been taking music lessons for eight or nine months, and had been participating in the “junior” high school band for most of that time. The “senior” band was scheduled to play in two parades on Decoration Day, Friday, the 30th.
      The day before, the band director told me I was promoted to the senior band, and gave me my uniform. Never mind that I had never played the music, and either missed or misplayed most of the notes during the parades – I WAS IN THE BAND!
      I was twelve years old at the time, and the real significance of the holiday had not yet bored its way into my skull.
      Beginning with the War for Independence, over 1,316,000 Americans have died in war. Even sadder, 623,000 lives, or 47.3%, were lost in the War Between the States. Almost half the lives were lost while we were fighting with each other!
      Today we are still fighting with each other. While it has not erupted into a physical battle, it has progressed to the point where gridlock at the Federal level has almost been accepted as a way of life.
      According to a recent CBS News poll, almost 55% of Americans of both parties are dissatisfied with the way things are going in Washington. Yet normally centrist politicians have either been voted out of office, e.g, Arlen Specter, or have had to scurry to the outer fringes of their parties to stay in the running, e.g., John McCain.
      Recently there has been an upsurge of voters changing their registration to Independent. According to a recent Rasmussen poll, “if the trend continues up, the unaffiliated or independent voters may overtake the Republicans and Democrats as the majority of voters.”
      Unfortunately they will have even less chance to choose their candidates – in some states, including Pennsylvania, only members of the two major parties may vote in the primary elections. If we cannot come together to reconcile our own differences, why are we trying to be the police force for the entire world?
      So on this day of remembrance, let us pray that are Armed Forces will be brought home soon. And let us reflect on the wisdom of ALL our battles, both the external and the internal ones.
      Have a thoughtful day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There Are Only Seven Jokes - Introduction

      The statement “There are only seven jokes – all the rest are variations,” has been around for a long time, but no one ever seems to know what the original seven are. I think I have found the solution to the mystery.       The answer is to be found in an article published in the New York Times on May 2, 1909. Entitled “New Jokes? There Are No New Jokes, There Is Only One Joke,” it goes on to say that all jokes are a distortion, and lists seven categories of distortion. Supposedly every joke will fit into one of the categories. I believe that repetition changed the seven categories into the seven jokes.       Each of my next seven blogs will be devoted to exploring one of the categories. In addition, I shall attempt to give an example or two of jokes which I think fit the category.       You must realize that this article appeared over one hundred years ago, so most of the jokes appearing therein are so out-of-date that modern readers wouldn’t even understand them. For example,

By Today’s Standards Many of my Teachers Would be in Jail

I started school in a two-room building: grades 1 to 4 in one room; grades 5 to 8 in the other. One teacher in each room taught all four grades. I don’t remember first grade very well – the teacher left at the end of the year. I am pretty sure it was not my fault. Now keep in mind that reading the Bible every morning was the standard for all grades at that time. But my teacher in grades two to four went a little above and beyond the normal practice. As a member of a “plain” sect, she considered it her duty to lead the little heathens to Christianity. She offered a free Bible to all students who managed to memorize 20 verses. I memorized my verses – “Jesus saves” was my favorite because it was the shortest – and got my Bible with my twenty underlined in red. That would be illegal today (not the underlining), and rightly so. Teachers may not teach religion, although contrary to what many folks seem to think, students may bring their Bibles to school, read them, and pray their
The National Anthem I have a somewhat minor pet peeve. I say minor because in the grand scheme of things neither I nor society will do anything substantive about it, so my best bet is probably to suck it up and move on. Perhaps after writing about it I can lay it to rest. It came up recently while I was working out at our Wellness Center. A program on television was playing America The Beautiful , and I remarked to a lady I have known for 40 years that I thought that should be the National Anthem instead of The Star Spangled Banner. She replied, rather huffily, I thought, “Some people think God Bless America should be the national anthem.” At that point I decided, wisely, I think, to back off before an argument sprang up. Now I realize that The Star Spangled Banner is a very nice, patriotic song, but an anthem it is not. According to Wikipedia, “ An anthem is a  musical composition  of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the  nationa